It was a happy augury that the cause at Granville started with a Sunday School.
For a number of years prior to the building of a Church, the late Mr. W. Ardill commenced Sunday School in the upper room of a shop in South Street, not far from our present church buildings. The first church was built at Blaxcell Street (no date on record) and later demolished and rebuilt on the ‘present site in 1911 for use as a Sunday School. The church was built the same year on property presented by the Pastor, Rev. C. T. Way.
In the early school we had Rev. J. Leech, Rev. C. Marcroft, and Rev. Frank Robinson as scholars. Others now in the ministry who have passed through the school are Rev. R. Melville, Rev. C. Gray (W.A.), Rev. W. Rien, Rev. Frank Hoad, and Pastor Syd. Brook, at present in College. Another former scholar, Mr. Harry Lane, studied at Benson Barnett’s College at Croydon, and took up work with the Australian Inland Mission.
At present quite a number of our young men who have been scholars in the school take preaching appointments.